On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 at 13:15, Jake Edmonds via Tagging <
tagging@openstreetmap.org> wrote:

On 8 Jul 2020, at 13:08, Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 at 13:00, Niels Elgaard Larsen <elga...@agol.dk> wrote:
>
> In short, how would we deal with verifiability requirement?
>>

> Price, maybe. Specialty coffee (or anything else) costs more.  However,
> blind tasting of wine has shown that perceived quality is strongly
> influenced by presentation (if it looks expensive, people think it
> tastes better).
>

> Maybe that’s true but if people are looking for it, it should be
> searchable?

There is a group of people within OSM that have the mantra "OSM is not
a gazetteer."  I think that's overly-strict, but when we get down to
tagging speciality coffees, I can see their point.

OSM is a map.  We tag places like shops and cafes primarily
because they are waypoints: "Turn left after Walmart."
Secondarily we tag those places in more detail because it's
useful: a convenience store versus a gift shop.  When
we get down to listing every individual item sold, we've
gone far too far.

Is specialty coffee a step too far?  Yes, because it's
subjective and is likely to become (if it hasn't already)
an abused marketing term.  Anybody can take some
vile coffee beans, roast them badly, and it's speciality
coffee (it's certainly out of the normal).  It's too
subjective.  Price is verifiable.

So rather than tagging it as specialty, or of high quality, just
> tag it as expensive=yes.  At least that is verifiable.  If
> it's more than (say) twice the average price, it's expensive.
>

> Twice as expensive as what?

Did you see where I wrote "average price"?  If most places sell coffee
for $2, I'd consider $4 expensive.  Maybe you'd prefer to flag 3 standard
deviations from the mean as expensive.  Whatever formular you come
up with, it would be verifiable.

Not that I think we should be mapping price, either.  Sure, if we had
a mapper on every street corner diligently keeping everything current
(no more than a week between inspections) we could consider mapping
these sorts of details.

In the meantime, I'm putting all my time into mapping three geographically
large counties in slightly less detail, and there's still a hell of a lot
yet to map.
My questions are along the lines of "Is there any sort of coffee shop or
cafe in this village?" rather than "Does it sell really expensive coffee?"
I'd rather try to cater to those who are thirsty enough to drink
anything rather than those who would willingly die of dehydration than
drink cheap coffee.

--
Paul