On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 07:24:25PM +0100, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> I am mapping a fingerpost, aka guidepost:
>
>    https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:information%3Dguidepost
>
> I would like to add the inscription, for each of the three fingers,
> with their compass points. I note:
>
>    https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:destination
>
> is similar but "destination:forward" and "destination:backward" are
> meaningless in this context; and many finger posts have more than four
> fingers, or fingers not at 90-degree angles to each other, or to
> North. I propose something like:

Please have a look at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:destination_sign

That's what it looks like in the wild:
https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#guidepost?id=3673098550

The schema is a bit verbose but it has the advantage that you can clearly mark
which
way the finger points to instead of giving compass degree approximations.

Sarah