Thanks for the great feedback, everyone.

Firstly, I don't want anyone to feel that just tagging highway=service is
wrong, and you have to have a service tag. Any information available on the
map is more useful than no information. I just want the ability to
differentiate between 'we don't know what sort of service road this is' and
'we know it is a main parking road and/or access within a private
residential/commercial/industrial/etc property/campus'.

On the main parking road, I think we are largely in agreement that
service=parking would be a good addition to OSM documentation (and is
already in use throughout the world, as such).

For the second type of highway=service with no service tagging, what about
using service=access?
It has been used about 1K times already (
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/service=access#overview,
https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/WGY), and looks like it has been used in that
general 'access to facilities on a larger property/campus' sense.

For example: https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/WGZ.

- David