Aug 22, 2020, 12:17 by f...@zz.de:

> On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 12:09:14PM +0200, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:
>
>> I would expect roundabout to be split in parts where
>> ref is applying and parts where it is not applying, in other words
>> without any special handling and tag it as usual.
>>

> But the point is that on a roundabout the "name" references the name
> of the _roundabout_ not one of the streets connected to it.

Yes

> Same should apply to ref as it will reference the Roundabout

why?

>  e.g.
> otherwise there would be no way to e.g. say tag a roundabout
> with "East 1" or "No 1" because the Ref is taken by one or all
> of the streets.

So it is about case where road has its own reference number
and junction has its own reference number, separate from
reference number of road routes?

> Adding all refs of all streets PLUS that of the roundabout would
> make it even worse as you couldnt distinguish which of the refs
> references the Roundabout and which of the refs is that of the streets.
>
> So i simply say when the logic is that the way with
> "junction=roundabout" is not part of the streets and has a life of
> its own with e.g. established with the name tag - same should and must
> apply to the ref.  This does not prohibit adding the roundabout to some
> kind of relation containing all parts of a road in a road network.

In Poland road route continues through roaundabout and roaundabout way
is part of such route.

See https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2343885#map=19/50.08485/19.80751
(here parts of roundabout may be argued to not belong into 774 relation, but...)

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2313869#map=16/50.0861/20.0234
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/37828106
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/148978816
(may not be roundabout strictly speaking, but it is not changing anything
important)

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2313869#map=19/50.07961/20.02769
(roundabout plan but with traffic signs)