On 24/08/2020 16.25, pangoSE wrote:
Martin Koppenhoefer skrev: (24 augusti 2020 02:16:27 CEST)
Also useful when the POI is approximately placed (e.g. in a
neighbouring building, happens quite often, at least as long as most
POIs are not yet mapped)

Really? Can you link to an example?  I have never come across a POI
that needed a special address. I would rather map to he entry in the
that case and put the address there.

Just about any strip mall. For example, 42.8625, -73.7831. I can give at least three other examples within 1000 *feet*; in a few miles, probably a dozen or more.

Mapping stores in such cases practically requires mapping the *insides* of the buildings. It's much more typical to drop a POI in about the right place (either the middle of the store, or the entrance to the store). Yet, these *do* have distinct addresses.

The same can easily happen with multi-unit dwellings.

Also, mailboxes have addresses, but are unlikely to be mapped as ways due to their size.

The POI IMO cannot logically have an address itself, its a human symbol for designating something of interest within a feature like a building, park or whatever.

...or its a somewhat abstracted representation of a building because no one has yet made the effort to map the building more precisely. BTW, it's not that unusual for detached houses to be mapped as POIs, especially when addresses are imported from GIS data that gives them only as points. Yes, in an ideal world everything of this nature would be mapped as a way, but that isn't always practical.

When the Swedish geosurvey sometime soon release all public adresses
for free we will have to merge them all with the buildings where
possible.
...And what will you do if there is no building, and it isn't obvious how to add one (e.g. strip malls)? Not import that address at all?

thinking about it postal addresses follows land plots and legal boundaries and
not POIs.

Actually, AFAIK this is only partly true. Yes, the address "123 Cherry Lane" follows a plot, but I'm not aware of anything preventing me from erecting three structures on that plot and designating them "unit 1", "unit 3.14" and "unit gamma". This would be unusual on a residential plot, but not at all (well, sans my intentionally bizarre numbering) for a commercial building.

--
Matthew