Keep it simple, if the simple solution does not limit you.

For the mixed transportation aspect of bicycle routes, I have the gut
feeling that separate relations for each segment are overkill.
At the practical level, if you take Eurovelo1 (relation 2763798
<https://cycling.waymarkedtrails.org/#route?id=2763798>). I am interested
in the Northern Norway part of it, because I remember containing many
ferries.
If you drill down with Waymarked trails - Cycling (both the Relation
Analyzer and OSM Route Manager are not capable of dealing with it) you will
see that this is a super relation of 9 relations.
Let's take the Norway part "EuroVelo 1 - Atlantic Coast Route - part Norway"
- relation 9523683. <https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/9523683>
This is again a super relation of 4 relations.
The interesting part in this is "EuroVelo 1 - Atlantic Coast Route - part
Norway 2" - relation 9523681
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/9523681>
That stretch of 670km has four ferry transfers, which in the new proposal
would create another layer  of 9 child relations.

Or another example, closer to home for me:
to get across the islands that close the lagoon of Venice you need to cross
three "mouths" (bocche). On two of them you have even the choice between
different service providers, which each would need a different relation.

Please don't do it.

The "transportation" role in the bicycle route relations should be
sufficient to cover this aspect.