On 9/4/2020 6:24 PM, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:
Sep 4, 2020, 18:19 by tagging@openstreetmap.org:

    node and discovered the shelter_type=rock_shelter subtag, but the
    map in
    question didn't render it any differently. Revisiting the site in fair
    weather, I found a tiny crack under a ledge that *might* have kept a
    child dry. It was very satisfying to delete that node.

This seems to be a clear case of incorrect tagging of something that\
has not actually existed.

natural=rock_shelter and any other tagging of rock shelter would be
equally
incorrect

Assuming that I located the correct crack, it was undoubtedly a case of
overzealous tagging. The problem I see is that the definition of rock
shelter is subjective enough that this sort of tagging will happen from
time to time. Some mappers will stretch the definition because they just
love adding features. And since rock shelters are currently a subtag of
amenity=shelter, people looking for amenity=shelter -- with the possibly
live-saving properties that implies -- will be misled.

Tagging a rock shelter any other way -- natural=rock_shelter,
amenity=rock_shelter, whatever -- and we're no longer bound to
fulfilling the existing expectations of the parent tag.

Jason