On Nov 12, 2020, at 3:18 AM, bkil <bkil.hu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Although, I understand that there could exist some special meanings of
> the word "park":
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/park

Jó napot, bikl!

There is quite a bit of history here, both past (early in OSM, as leisure=park
developed and was both correctly and incorrectly deployed around the world),
recently (as in a year ago / summer 2019 during the “leisure=park wiki
incidents”) and presently (as in a developing draft proposal for Park boundary
noted below).  I was and am personally involved in the latter two.

Differing definitions of “park” aren’t “special,” but differences in dialect.
The wiktionary definitions are limited, as they don’t offer clear dialectical
differences between British English and US English, where the distinctions are
both real and quite sharp (the use of a certain idiolect of “park” often used
in the US state of Colorado, as in the Middle Park basin, is noted in the
wiktionary page as “US").  Better (for the present purpose we discuss now) is
the very widely encompassing definition found at Wikipedia you quote, also
repeatedly quoted in OSM’s wiki media (e.g. for both leisure=park as well as a
proposal I co-author at
https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Park_boundary ).  Coincidentally
(and fulll disclosure), I believe I substantially wrote that introductory
paragraph in the Wikipedia article’s definition, which if memory serves me,
came from a talk-page contribution I made here in OSM (2011?  2012?).

> And anyway, terms must be understood in their GB sense within
> OpenStreetMap as declared by the project.

I disagree, with very narrow scope, in the instant (present) case.  Insisting
on simplistic understandings of “GB English only” can cause outrageous
misunderstandings, to which I can personally attest by being banned from wiki
writing for two weeks last year as I struggled to untangle exactly this issue
(though was plagued by a notorious OSM troll).  Much, much better (smarter for
OSM, with much less rancor and long-term misunderstanding) is to more
comprehensively understand that these linguistic differences are quite real,
and to better accommodate them during OSM’s syntactic design phases (while
“coining new tags” or attempting to better design tags, as we do here).

So, while leisure=park DOES remain (and should, for historical and “already
established” reasons) in OSM, you can see how US English speakers, who have a
MUCH broader definition of “park” than that in British (GB) English, are
frustrated by the “limited” definition of leisure=park:  how do OSM
Contributors in the USA, who speak US English and have thousands of what we
call “parks” (but are NOT well-tagged with leisure=park), tag our “parks”?

We better develop that in our proposal, though are only in early stages now; it
will take some time to complete the multiple proposal introductions that are
planned to systematically roll out to gently do that (we hope).  But this
process is now underway, thank you (all of OSM) for your patience.

Bottom line:  while it is good to know some of what appear to be “hard and fast
rules of OSM,” (like “always GB English”), sometimes a greater / wider
understanding of linguistics (dialects, how differences among them can be —
even sometimes MUST be — accommodated in careful syntax / tagging in OSM) is
deeply helpful to the project continuing to work (without misunderstanding and
even rancor) internationally.  After all (and I don’t wish to be
English-centric in our worldwide project, even as we use it here), there are
dozens — perhaps in the low hundreds — of dialects of English around the world.
 Avoiding misunderstandings based on these differences is something OSM wants
to continue to do well into the future.  I know I certainly count myself among
those wish this harmony to continue.  This can be difficult, and even (like
here) sometimes must be explicitly spelled out, but with clarity, we can
understand how to solve the difficulties of such dialectical ambiguities.

SteveA