I mentioned the problem of mapping "fuzzy" areas to a friend, who replied along the lines of "why, of course such areas should be mapped as functions, taking a point as input and returning a real between 0 (definitely outside) and 1 (definitely inside)!".

I'd rather not have to implement that, though. =)

(And I agree with Kevin about reconstructing an area from a point + surrounding coastline. I'd like to see at least an outline of an algorithm for that! Having said that, I also recognise that gazillion-point polygons to outline Skagerrak, Kattegatt, the North Sea and what-have-you may not be the prettiest state of things either...)