>From the talk page:

> "Base" can have different meanings in different contexts. At some future
point we might regret having defined base=* to mean military bases. Maybe
military_base=*. --Brian de Ford (talk) 12:12, 9 December 2020 (UTC)

I agree, and this can be easily fixed by changing the key to describe what
we are actually specifying: "What military service branch is using this
feature?"

So I suggest military_branch=* or military_service=* for the key.

Though this is based on my US English understanding of the military
terminology. Do they call them "military service branches" in British
English too?

This would also solve the issue of using base=army + military=office or
base=marines + military=danger_area, which would otherwise seem odd.

There are, in fact, military offices which are not within a
landuse=military area, and there are military=danger_area features which
are not in landuse=military

e.g: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/315105891,
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/26165183 (danger_area)
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/151330951,
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/485899442 (office)

-- Joseph Eisenberg

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 3:36 PM Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've now incorporated all (I think?) the comments from the talk page into
the proposal, if you'd like to check the wording?