sent from a phone

> On 15. Dec 2020, at 06:11, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If I look at a map eg
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Forest#/media/File:Relief_Map_of_Germany,_Black_Forest.png,
>  it tells me that the Balck Forest is a more or less oval-shaped area in
> Southern Germany. Why can't we draw a similar rough oval in OSM & call it
> Black Forest?

have a look at this overview:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturräumliche_Gliederung_des_Schwarzwaldes#Grobe_Gliederung

these areas are not directly observable on the ground, yes, they are made (I
suppose) by scientists according to certain criteria, but you will probably get
different answers if you asked a biologist, a geologist or a linguist. And
according to the scale that they are working in.

Shall we really aim at having all these possible generalized areas and
classifications as nested polygons in our db? Seems obvious that we can’t.

Cheers Martin