Vào lúc 10:56 2022-10-12, Evan Carroll đã viết:
    But in some places,
    mappers have been more rigorous about respecting each building's
    architectural origins.

This is all 100% new to me.  Where is it documented that a "shop" in a detached house should be mapped as a detached house, and not a shop? Where is the notion of "architectural origins" documented. I thought we could treat the wiki as authoritative and everything else not in the wiki as a wrong or mistaken, or unsupported?

To be clear, I'm not saying the building shouldn't be dual-tagged as a shop or that a separate shop=* node shouldn't be mapped within it. This is only about building classification. For example, some mappers would tag a house converted into a barbershop as:

building=detached
building:use=retail
shop=hairdresser

Various parts of the wiki do mention this distinction in passing [1][2][3], but I'm not surprised that you came to the opposite conclusion when looking at other wiki pages. The wiki has a lot of inconsistencies. That fact alone should dissuade you from treating any one wiki page as authoritative.

I would caution against interpreting the wiki overall as a binding document. Many tag description pages are the product of a formal feature proposal process, but many more are created ad hoc with the intention of describing prevailing usage. Sometimes that effort falls short or veers into advocacy. It is useful to point out discrepancies between the wiki, actual usage, and software support. These discussions can lead to harmonization, but the starting point should be first principles like end user expectations or legal distinctions, not the mere fact that a wiki without an enforcement mechanism documented something a certain way many years ago.

Personally, I find the distinction between building=* and building:use=* to be pretty fussy. It's hard enough to get mappers to include a building=* tag at all when mapping a retail building as a shop=*. But I recognize that at least it helps 3D renderers choose a somewhat believable model to represent a building when minutiae like roof shapes, windows, and doors haven't been mapped.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Special:PermanentLink/2418589
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Special:PermanentLink/2357589#Tagging [3] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Special:PermanentLink/2411986#Converted_buildings_used_as_apartments

--
m...@nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us