For routing, foot=use_sidepath and foot=no have almost the same
implications. foot=use_sidepath can be treated as foot=no (complete
prohibition) or sometimes as foot=discouraged (with a very high
penalty instead of a complete prohibition). But foot=no is used in a
variety of situations (and was used for separate sidewalks before a
more specific tag was adopted - so you'll find a mix of old and new
mapping styles), while foot=use_sidepath is specific and can be used
for data validation (e.g. looking for missing separate side
paths/sidewalks). foot=* represents the access permission, [1]
sidewalk=* only describes the attached sidewalks (if any), and there
are regional differences on when to separate the sidewalk from the
main road. [2]

[1]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access_restrictions#Worldwide
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Sidewalks#Regional_conventions

> I came to understand that this tagging was used by a mapper to indicate that
> "pedestrians are not allowed on the roadway, however, they are allowed on the
> sidewalk"

At least the two main routing engines on the main site don't make this
assumption, so I believe it was never what most mappers had in mind.
This intelligence requires either using relations to represent all
parts of a street (adopted in some places, but not most, due in part
to little app support), or naming sidewalks the same as the main road
(proposed, but not widely adopted due to problems resulting from
duplicate street names in rendering and geocoding, and street name
maintenance - remembering to rename all parts when the name changes or
is corrected).

On Mon, 19 Dec 2022 at 14:40, Brian M. Sperlongano <zelonew...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2022 at 2:15 AM Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging
> <tagging@openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>>
>> foot=use_sidepath was invented to mark "yes, on carriageway you cannot walk,
>> but you can walk on separately mapped sidewalk"
>

> This makes sense to me, but the wiki[1] is somewhat confusing about the
> difference between foot=use_sidepath and foot=no:
>
> "This tag, like bicycle=use_sidepath, applies only to roads with a
> classification that allows pedestrian use. In some countries it is illegal
> for pedestrians to use a road if a parallel compulsory sidepath exists. On
> OSM, this can be indicated by tagging the main road as foot=use_sidepath if
> the sidepath is mapped separately. This tag should only be applied in
> countries that have compulsory footways. Where the main road is explicitly
> forbidden, typically by a traffic sign on the main road, whether a sidepath
> exists or not, foot=no should be used."
>
> [1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:foot=use_sidepath

Fernando Trebien