I do know some knitters, they are very exacting:  if you need "Size 7 circular
needles," you better find one of these shops, or you must suffer online
ordering / shipping.  The supplies (yarn, especially, but really, all of it)
are quite specific:  "nothing else will do."  And as I've shopped with such
knitters at more than one of these shops and appreciate the specific senses
required to make a yarn purchase (sight, touch, yes, even smell — a faint hint
of lanolin can be detected, says my nose) the brick and mortar yarn shops we're
talking about here are seriously better than online shopping.  So, yes, when
one of these shops exist, it often has a dedicated community, so much so that
people do and will quite deliberately seek out a "yarn shop."  I know people
who will drive three hours (one way) to get to one.  Good for OSM for mapping
them.