It is current habit in OSM to tag everything that can be played a sports game
on as "pitch".
Ripping part of those objects out of the name space and tag them differently
breaks backward
compatibility for data users.

For such reasons we have subtagging schemes. So you tag the area with
leisure=pitch
as usual, and add a subtag with a more detailed description, such as
pitch={training|fullsize|children_only|or_whatever_you_like}.

That keeps the existing scheme compatible and adds more detail.

tom