On 6/5/23 8:12 PM, Minh Nguyen wrote:

Having tried to use both formats in both projects, I do think EDTF is the better format overall, and I wouldn't mind seeing it used in OSM. However, the ad-hoc format does have one advantage in being able to express dates in the Julian calendar directly, rather than making mappers perform the conversion themselves.

[1] https://github.com/OpenHistoricalMap/issues/issues/547

one of the things i've been contemplating for OHM time format
development is a strategy for dealing with Julian dates and
potentially non-western dates. but it's a lot and i've been too
busy to make any progress on this for a while.

the thing to keep in mind is that there is nothing much that processes
OSM dates, where as OHM needs to process dates to do the things. this
is what drives the differences.

richard
--
rwe...@averillpark.net