Minh and I are in the same jurisdiction (California) regarding guns, but I
agree with Graeme that we want to be careful with our terminology here.  Minh
says "A gun store specializes in firearms and ammo..." whereas I'm pretty sure
most people (who use guns) would say "A gun store specializes in guns and
ammo...".

The word "firearm" and especially "weapon" are not synonyms for "gun."
(Especially "weapon," a widely-encompassing term).  "Firearm" has legal
connotations (hence the mention of jurisdiction, and in the USA, the word
"firearm" is most certainly laden with legal connotation, as in the name of the
federal agency "Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives").  "Firearm" is
specifically defined in 18 U.S. Code § 921, for example, and can include things
like a starter pistol, because it "may readily be converted to expel a
projectile" (even though it wasn't designed to).

I'm likely quibbling here, but while these distinctions are subtle, they are
real.  I think if OSM means "gun," we should say (tag, denote, document...)
"gun."

I don't wish to get too USA-specific or even too political, but there are also
"gun shows" which are ad hoc and/or semi-regular gatherings of People (see,
that word is capitalized to mean something specific, and not just 18th-century
anachronism, but as a 21st-century "proclamation of our unity") where guns are
sold, with what some consider to be "looser" legal requirements (the so-called
"private sale exemption" which precludes a background check of the buyer).  I
don't wish to get in any trouble for saying that.  Our constitution was written
to empower "the People," which our government was formed to serve.

In short, if you mean "gun," say "gun."  "Firearm" is more formal and a
somewhat legalese term which isn't really in the vernacular (and I've even
heard pushback when it is used improperly), at least in US English.  I don't
mean to be issuing that very pushback here and now (even if I am), I'm calling
attention to the usage of language for the benefit of OSM tagging.