Am Mo., 29. Apr. 2024 um 16:06 Uhr schrieb Fernando Trebien <
fernando.treb...@gmail.com>:

> > why you think that place=hamlet are automatically entitled to
> > highway=tertiary?
>
> The wiki emphasizes the highway classification should consider the
> relative importance of roads within regional contexts even for the
> lowest highway classes:
>
> "Outside urban areas, tertiary roads are those with low to moderate
> traffic which link smaller settlements such as villages or hamlets."

Yes, but villages and hamlets are just examples, as are settlements. IMHO
there are no settlements required for a road to be tagged highway. If you
strictly read this paragraph from the wiki, if a road doesn't link a
settlement, it could not be tagged even tertiary. A main road can just as
well lead to a train station or an airport / airfield, or to a mining area,
or to a seaport or military base, no settlement required. The settlements
are mentioned in the wiki, because this is what we usually expect, but
there absence could be justified in some exceptional cases (like the
aforementioned).