Heh, my reading comprehension skills are failing. JSP 1.2 requires J2SE 1.2 and
JSP 2.0 requires J2SE 1.3.

Just to clarify Option #2, we're talking about taking the source code for
org.apache.commons.collections.map.LRUMap, changing its package, and resolving
all its dependencies by doing the same thing with the source code for those
classes and interfaces, right? If so, that seems reasonable. It would be nice
to be able to script that somehow...

In addition to the use of LRUMap, did anyone want to offer an opinion on
exposing a mechanism to configure the cache size (setting cache size = 0 would
effectively bypass caching)?  Personally, I think it's a good idea. In keeping
with the mechanics of the Config class, how about defining a servlet context
init param? Something like:

<context-param>
  <param-name>org.apache.taglibs.standard.lang.jstl.exprCacheSize</param-name>
  <param-value>100</param-value>
</context-param>

Any thoughts on using different caching strategies? How about leveraging
reference objects (SoftReference might be appropriate)?

D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>