If a dB has case insensitive column names, shouldn't that be implemented in
the JDBC driver, not in the JDBC tag lib?  As Nick states, some dB's do support
case sensitve names.

Regards,

Glenn

Perhaps the change Morgan did below should be reverted.

Glenn

Nick Christopher wrote:

> Newer sybase's are case sensitive with regards to object names (i.e.
>tables/cols/indexes).
>
> Morgan Delagrange wrote:
>
> > Good catch, I believe you are correct.  I'll patch it up today.
> >
> > - Morgan
> >
> > On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Dave Dribin wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I was just playing around with the 04/19 version of the JDBC tag
> > > library and trying to run the example pages.  I am using Oracle as a
> > > back-end database and using a JNDI named datasource under Resin 1.2.3.
> > > I am getting the following exception while running the jndijdbc.jsp
> > > page:
> > >
> > > javax.servlet.jsp.JspTagException: Could not find column named id
> > >         at
>org.apache.taglibs.jdbc.resultset.BaseGetterTag.getColumnNumber(BaseGetterTag.java:245)
> > >         at
>org.apache.taglibs.jdbc.resultset.BaseGetterTag.getPosition(BaseGetterTag.java:111)
> > >         at
>org.apache.taglibs.jdbc.resultset.GetNumberTag.doStartTag(GetNumberTag.java:149)
> > >
> > > I tracked down the problem to this line in the JSP:

> > > Now, it turns out that if I use all caps for the column name like "ID"
> > > rather than "id" it works.  I think this is due to the fact that I am
> > > running Oracle and it is probably passing back the column names in all
> > > caps regardless of how the table was created.  However, colName should
> > > probably be doing a case insensitive compare.  I narrowed it down to
> > > this bit of code in BaseGetterTag.java:
> > >
> > >    236        for (int i = 1; i <= cntColumn; i++) {
> > >    237          if (strName.equals (meta.getColumnName (i))) {
> > >    238            return i;
> > >    239          }
> > >    240        }
> > >
> > > Changing line 237 to use String.equalsIgnoreCase() should fix it.  SQL
> > > is not case sensitive, right?
> > >
> > > -Dave

Glenn Nielsen             [EMAIL PROTECTED] | /* Spelin donut madder    |