I agree, it would be very easy to create a custom tag to do this.  I'm
just disappointed that they provide string comparison for the
'attribute' name for the application tags, but not session or request.
For example, the application tags have the following:

<app:equalsattribute name="abc" value="def">
</app:equalsattribute>

Also, by the way, the 'exists tag' does not provide this functionality.
For example:
<req:existsparameter name="action" value="submit">
</req:existsparameter>

This merely checks if a parameter exists and is bound to the request
object.  It does not check for string equality, etc. (correct me if I'm
wrong here)

Does anyone know if I make a recommendation for the development team to
provide this?

Thanks!
Brett