From: "Christopher Benson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, May 28, 2001 12:19 PM
Subject: About XSL TagLib future

> Pier,
>
> I can't speak for the project - I'm just a taglibs user.  However, if you
> want to share it, please post your code that uses params with the XSL
> taglib.  I'd really like to see it, and I'll bet other would too.  Thanks.

taglib.tld

/*
 * $Id: ApplyTag.java,v 1.1 2000/07/03 19:30:00 craigmcc Exp $
 * ====================================================================
 *
 * The Apache Software License, Version 1.1
 *
 * Copyright (c) 1999 The Apache Software Foundation.  All rights
 * reserved.
 *
 * are met:
 *
 * notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
 *
 * notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
 * the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
 * distribution.
 *
 * 3. The end-user documentation included with the redistribution, if
 * any, must include the following acknowlegement:
 * "This product includes software developed by the
 * Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/)."
 * Alternately, this acknowlegement may appear in the software itself,
 * if and wherever such third-party acknowlegements normally appear.
 *
 * 4. The names "The Jakarta Project", "Tomcat", and "Apache Software
 * Foundation" must not be used to endorse or promote products derived
 * from this software without prior written permission. For written
 * permission, please contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 *
 * 5. Products derived from this software may not be called "Apache"
 * nor may "Apache" appear in their names without prior written
 * permission of the Apache Group.
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED
 * WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES
 * OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
 * DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE APACHE SOFTWARE FOUNDATION OR
 * ITS CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
 * SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
 * LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF
 * USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
 * ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY,
 * OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT
 * OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
 * SUCH DAMAGE.
 * ====================================================================
 *
 * This software consists of voluntary contributions made by many
 * individuals on behalf of the Apache Software Foundation.  For more
 * information on the Apache Software Foundation, please see
 * <http://www.apache.org/>.
 *
 * [Additional notices, if required by prior licensing conditions]
 *
 */

package org.apache.taglibs.xsl;

import java.io.InputStream;
import java.io.Reader;
import java.io.StringReader;
import java.lang.reflect.Method;
import java.util.Hashtable;
import java.util.Enumeration;
import javax.servlet.ServletContext;
import javax.servlet.jsp.JspException;
import javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.BodyTagSupport;
import org.apache.xalan.xslt.XSLTInputSource;
import org.apache.xalan.xslt.XSLTProcessor;
import org.apache.xalan.xslt.XSLTProcessorFactory;
import org.apache.xalan.xslt.XSLTResultTarget;
import org.w3c.dom.Node;
import org.xml.sax.InputSource;
import org.xml.sax.SAXException;

/**
 * Apply an XSL stylesheet to an XML data source, rendering the output
 * to the writer of our JSP page.  This tag uses the Xalan XSLT processor,
 * available at <code>http://xml.apache.org</code>.
 *
 * @author Craig R. McClanahan
 * @version $Revision: 1.1 $ $Date: 2000/07/03 19:30:00 $
 */

public class ApplyTag extends BodyTagSupport {

    // ------------------------------------------------------------- Properties

    /**
     * The body content of this tag, if we are using it as the data source.
     */
    private String body = null;

    // START BORTONE
    /**
     * The hashtable that will contains the split params attribute of this tag.
     */
    private Hashtable paramsTable = null;
    // STOP BORTONE

    /**
     * The name of the XML data bean.
     */
    private String nameXml = null;

    public String getNameXml() {
        return (this.nameXml);
    }

    public void setNameXml(String nameXml) {
        this.nameXml = nameXml;
    }

    /**
     * The name of the XSL stylesheet bean.
     */
    private String nameXsl = null;

    public String getNameXsl() {
        return (this.nameXsl);
    }

    public void setNameXsl(String nameXsl) {
        this.nameXsl = nameXsl;
    }

    /**
     * The property of the XML data bean.
     */
    private String propertyXml = null;

    public String getPropertyXml() {
        return (this.propertyXml);
    }

    public void setPropertyXml(String propertyXml) {
        this.propertyXml = propertyXml;
    }

    /**
     * The property of the XSL stylesheet bean.
     */
    private String propertyXsl = null;

    public String getPropertyXsl() {
        return (this.propertyXsl);
    }

    public void setPropertyXsl(String propertyXsl) {
        this.propertyXsl = propertyXsl;
    }

    /**
     * The XML data resource.
     */
    private String xml = null;

    public String getXml() {
        return (this.xml);
    }

    public void setXml(String xml) {
        this.xml = xml;
    }

    /**
     * The XSL stylesheet resource.
     */
    private String xsl = null;

    public String getXsl() {
        return (this.xsl);
    }

    public void setXsl(String xsl) {
        this.xsl = xsl;
    }

    // START BORTONE
        /**
     * The XSL stylesheet params.
     */
    private String params = null;

    public String getParams() {
        return (this.params);
    }

    public void setParams(String params) {
        this.params = params;
    }
    // STOP BORTONE

    // --------------------------------------------------------- Public Methods

    /**
     * Validate the attributes that were specified for consistency.
     * Evaluate the body content of this tag if we will be using it as the
     * XML data source; otherwise skip it.
     *
     * @exception JspException if a JSP error occurs
     */
    public int doStartTag() throws JspException {

        // Validate the data source attributes
        if (nameXml != null) {
            if (xml != null) {
                throw new JspException("Cannot specify both 'nameXml' and 'xml'");
            }
        }
        else if (propertyXml != null) {
            throw new JspException("Cannot specify 'propertyXml' without 'nameXml'");
        }

        // Validate the stylesheet source attributes
        if (nameXsl != null) {
            if (xsl != null) {
                throw new JspException("Cannot specify both 'nameXsl' and 'xsl'");
            }
        }
        else if (propertyXsl != null) {
            throw new JspException("Cannot specify 'propertyXsl' without 'nameXsl'");
        }

        if ((nameXsl == null) && (xsl == null)) {
            throw new JspException("Must specify either 'nameXsl' or 'xsl'");
        }

                // START BORTONE
                // If attribute params exits then it is evaluated
        if (params != null) {
            loadParams(params);
        }
        // STOP BORTONE

        // Evaluate the tag body only if we need it
        if ((nameXml == null) && (xml == null)) {
            return (EVAL_BODY_TAG);
        }
        else {
            return (SKIP_BODY);
        }

    }

    /**
     * Save the body content that has been processed, but do not iterate.
     *
     * @exception JspException if a JSP error has occurred
     */
    public int doAfterBody() throws JspException {

        if (bodyContent == null) {
            body = "";
        }
        else {
            body = bodyContent.getString().trim();
        }

        return (SKIP_BODY);

    }

    /**
     * Finish up by performing the transformation and rendering the output.
     *
     * @exception JspException if a JSP exception occurs
     */
    public int doEndTag() throws JspException {

        // Prepare an input source for the data
        XSLTInputSource data = null;

        if (body != null) {
            data = new XSLTInputSource(new StringReader(body));
        }
        else {
            data = getInputSource(nameXml, propertyXml, xml);
        }

        // Prepare an input source for the stylesheet
        XSLTInputSource style = getInputSource(nameXsl, propertyXsl, xsl);

        // Prepare an output source for the results
        XSLTResultTarget result = new XSLTResultTarget(pageContext.getOut());

        // Create an XSLT processor and use it to perform the transformation
        XSLTProcessor processor = null;

        try {
            processor = XSLTProcessorFactory.getProcessor();

// START BORTONE
            if (paramsTable != null) {
                Enumeration keys = paramsTable.keys();

                while (keys.hasMoreElements()) {
                    String name = (String) keys.nextElement();
                    String value = (String) paramsTable.get(name);

                    processor.setStylesheetParam(name, value);
                }
            }
// STOP BORTONE

            processor.process(data, style, result);
        }
        catch (SAXException e) {
            throw new JspException(e.toString());
        }

        return (EVAL_PAGE);

    }

    /**
     * Release any allocated resources.
     */
    public void release() {

        this.body = null;
// START BORTONE
        this.paramsTable = null;
// STOP BORTONE
    }

    // -------------------------------------------------------- Private Methods

    /**
     * Construct and return an XSLTInputSource based on the specified
     * parameters.
     *
     * @param name Name of a bean containing the input source (or has a
     * property that returns the input source)
     * @param property Name of a property of the specified bean that
     * returns the input source
     * @param resource Context-relative path to an application resource
     * that provides the input source
     *
     * @exception JspException if a JSP error occurs
     */
    private XSLTInputSource getInputSource(String name, String property,
                                           String resource) throws JspException {

        // If the resource is specified, use that for the input source
        if (resource != null) {
            ServletContext context = pageContext.getServletContext();

            if (context == null) {
                throw new JspException("Cannot find servlet context");
            }

            InputStream stream = context.getResourceAsStream(resource);

            if (stream == null) {
                throw new JspException("Missing resource '" + resource + "'");
            }

            return new XSLTInputSource(stream);
        }

        // Locate the source object
        Object source = null;
        Object bean = pageContext.findAttribute(name);

        if (bean == null) {
            throw new JspException("Missing bean '" + name + "'");
        }

        if (property == null) {
            source = bean;
        }
        else {
            try {
                char first = Character.toUpperCase(property.charAt(0));
                String methodName = "get" + first + property.substring(1);
                Class paramTypes[] = new Class[0];
                Method method = bean.getClass().getMethod(methodName,
                                                          paramTypes);

                source = method.invoke(bean, new Object[0]);
            }
            catch (Exception e) {
                throw new JspException(e.toString());
            }
        }

        // Create an XSLTInputSource for the specified source object
        if (source instanceof XSLTInputSource) {
            return ((XSLTInputSource) source);
        }
        else if (source instanceof String) {
            return (new XSLTInputSource(new StringReader((String) source)));
        }
        else if (source instanceof InputSource) {
            return (new XSLTInputSource((InputSource) source));
        }
        else if (source instanceof InputStream) {
            return (new XSLTInputSource((InputStream) source));
        }
        else if (source instanceof Node) {
            return (new XSLTInputSource((Node) source));
        }
        else if (source instanceof Reader) {
            return (new XSLTInputSource((Reader) source));
        }
        else {
            throw new JspException("Invalid input source type '"
                                   + source.getClass().getName() + "'");
        }
    }

//START BORTONE
    /**
     * Loads in the Hashtable paramsTable the split params attribute.
     *
     * @param params Attribute of this tag that contains a string like:
     * paramName=paramValue,paramName-N=paramValue-N
     *
     * @exception JspException if a JSP error occurs
     */
    private void loadParams(String params) throws JspException {
        String paramName = null;
        String paramValue = null;

        paramsTable = new Hashtable();

        params = params.trim();

        while (params.length() > 0) {
            int eq_pos = params.indexOf('=');

            if (eq_pos <= 1) {
                throw new JspException("Syntax error for attribute 'params'. Usage:
param=value,paramN=valueN");
            }
            else {
                paramName = params.substring(0, eq_pos).trim();
            }

            if (paramName.length() == 0) {
                throw new JspException("Syntax error for attribute 'params'. Usage:
param=value,paramN=valueN");
            }

            int comma_pos = params.indexOf(',', eq_pos);

            if (comma_pos == -1) {
                paramValue = params.substring(eq_pos + 1).trim();
            }
            else if (comma_pos <= 1) {
                throw new JspException("Syntax error for attribute 'params'. Usage:
param=value,paramN=valueN");
            }
            else {
                paramValue = params.substring(eq_pos + 1, comma_pos).trim();
            }

            if (paramValue.length() == 0) {
                throw new JspException("Syntax error for attribute 'params'. Usage:
param=value,paramN=valueN");
            }

            if (paramsTable == null) {
                paramsTable = new Hashtable();
            }

            paramsTable.put(paramName, paramValue);

            if (comma_pos == -1) {
                break;
            }

            params = params.substring(comma_pos + 1);
        }
    }
//STOP BORTONE
}