I don't know the answers to all your questions, but if you look at the
DBtags they have a way to request a set of rows and loop over them until
they are all printed.

For example:
<sql:statement id="stmt1" conn="conn1">
  <sql:query>
    select r.*,
        case when (select 1
                   from req_approvals ra
                   where ra.req_id = r.req_id and
                       approved = 'f') is not null
             then 'rejected'
             when (select 1
                   from req_approvals ra
                   where ra.req_id = r.req_id and
                       approved is null) is not null
             then 'pending'
             else 'approved' end as approved
    from req_req r

  </sql:query>
  <%-- loop through the rows of your query --%>
  <sql:resultSet id="rset2">
  </sql:resultSet>
</sql:statement>

Will produce as many rows as the query contains.

Hope that helps.

Mark