Title: Message
What you've just described does not really apply to my environment. I hardly implement any of the business logic, if any at all, in the front end...Unless it's a smaller application that I'm rolling out, then sure...

Does this mean there aren't any DB Tags with caching functionality?  ;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Reynir Hübner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2001 11:46 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Query Caching

One of ideas of the MVC pattern/architecture (MODEL/VIEW/CONTROLLER) is to keep the buisnesslogic out of the presentation logic and vice versa.
This means keep what the controller should be doing (such as data manipulation, etc.) out of what the view should be doing - present your data in some format. Some people are using the JSP page as a controller and the tags as buisnesslogic to be preformed and then in the end use the JSP page also as view.

this means the JSP layer serves both the controller and view purpose. The results of usage like this is the fact that the View layer of the model can come very expensive, holding all the logic both for presentation and most of the buisnesslogic too. This means if your website want´s to change it´s layout, or maybe start some service using XML or WML or something like that, you must implement all the buisnesslogic again for those different layouts. Also if you wanted to change the database you want to use, for example port your application from using Oracle over to useing MySQL you will have to change the presentation layer (that is if you use some oracle specific functionality), and probably everything else in your app, at least you would have to change the tags that interact with the server. And if you are using 3rd party tags you get into troubles there...Maybe in some projects it´s not relevant, and there for its alrigth to use db-tags or what ever other functionality inside JSP pages. I cannot see that as "not breaking the MVC idealogy".