Thank you Steve for the patch. It works for me too. I hope someone will hear us and include it in the next release.
Best regards,
Alex

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2001 6:39 PM
Subject: RE: DBTags Tag library

I was having this same issue.  It seemed to only happen if the query first returned rows and then I made another call to the same query (with different input) and it returned zero rows.  Looking at the source for ResultSetTag.java, it seemed to have something to do with the processing of the end tag.  doEndTag() has the following code:

  public int doEndTag() throws JspTagException{
    pageContext.removeAttribute(getId());
    try {
      if (getBodyContent() != null && getPreviousOut() != null) {
        getPreviousOut().write(getBodyContent().getString());
      }
    } catch (IOException e) {
      throw new JspTagException(e.toString());
    } finally {
      try {
        _rset.close();
      }
      catch (SQLException e) {
        // it's not fatal if the result set cannot be closed
        e.printStackTrace();
      }
    }

    // we have to call this guy manually now
    // with the spec clarification
    release();

    return EVAL_PAGE;
  }

It seems the line that writes the body content is writing the content of the SQL query when no rows are returned.  (getPreviousOut().write(getBodyContent().getString());) I modified the if-block as follows and I no longer have the problem:

if ( getBodyContent() != null &&
     getPreviousOut() != null &&
     _shouldLoop == true &&
     _rowCount > 0
   )
{
    getPreviousOut().write(getBodyContent().getString());
}

This may not be a perfect fix, but it's working for me.  I'm only using the ResultSet tag for iterating over the result set (the loop attribute is true).

Steve Mader