On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Paul DuBois wrote:

> The documentation for <sql:update> indicates that the var attribute is
> optional, but I find that without it I get an error message that the
> TLD requires it.  Adding var="dummy" cures the problem, but should
> that be necessary?

Hmm.  The TLD doesn't show it to be required:

  <tag-class>org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.el.sql.UpdateTag</tag-class>
    <description>
        Executes the SQL update defined in its body or through the
        sql attribute.
    </description>
    <attribute>
        <name>var</name>
        <required>false</required>
        <rtexprvalue>false</rtexprvalue>
    </attribute>

However, the tag handler did seem to assume it was set; I've fixed that,
since I believe it was a bug.  Are you sure the error message you got
wasn't related to a NullPointerException that would have been thrown on an
attempt to call pageContext.setAttribute(null, ...)?

Shawn