As far as I'm aware, the string and regexpr taglibs will not go into a
future release of the jstl (I don't think any apache taglib can go in that
direction??).

However, the JSR people/Sun may create their own taglib specification for
string and taglib 'functions' which may or may not bear functional
similarity to the current jakarta ones.

At that point, the existing Jakarta ones would probably be deprecated, and
other companies/organisations would be invited to provide their own
optimised versions for speed, extra functionality etc. Possibly the
existing Jakarta taglibs would not be deprecated if they were seen as
having a lot of functionality over the spec.

I could be a long way wrong though. I'm not a JSR member or anything. Just
my tuppence from how the JSTL has currently worked. I think up to this
point could be an answer for any 'Will XXX go into JSTL?' question.

Onto these particular two cases. I would expect any regexp taglib the JSTL
suggests to sit on top of the Sun regexp library and not on top of ORO
(which I assume the current one uses). Whether it would contain all the
current functionality would depend entirely on whether Sun's package could
match the power of ORO. I would imagine that some advanced features would
vanish and that the regex syntax itself would be slightly different.

This brings one issue in, which is adding Regexp to the JSTL makes the
JSTL 1.4 specific. So maybe we'll see this in a future in which Java
servers are at least 1.4.

The String taglib is a bonier issue. I would assume any JSTL String taglib
would sit on top of java.lang.String, but as most of the functions in the
String taglib are not currently provided by java.lang.String I'm not sure
if a JSR group would look to add those without going through the main
Java.lang spec people. Which I assume is quite a slow drawn out process.

So on reflection, neither looks very likely in the near future.

To reiterate though, I'm not a JSTL JSR person, so I could be talking
hogwash and they might release these the day after tomorrow.

Hen