Hi Paul.  Sorry for my delay in answering questions!  I've been on the
road.

> JSTL allows varName[propertyName] syntax.  I'm curious about the quoting
> requirements for propertyName.  For example, in the JSTL spec, page 3-20,
> there is an example that looks like this:
>
> <c:out value='${user.preferences["shipping"]}'/>
>
> Most examples in the spec use double quotes around attribute values,
> but this example switches to single quotes so that the property name
> can be double-quoted.
>
> I thought perhaps it was a requirement that the property name be
> enclosed in double quotes, but a few tests using single quotes seem to
> work as well. Is that officially supported, or did I just get lucky?

Single quotes are a valid quoting syntax in JSTL's expression language; a
single-quoted sequence of characters is interpreted as a string literal.
Thus,

  preferences['shipping']

is okay.  The choice of which quoting mechanism to use is predominantly a
matter of style and convenience.

--
Shawn Bayern
"JSP Standard Tag Library"   http://www.jstlbook.com