Thank you Hans,

that trick will do for some of the sorting problems I have. By the way
bought your book and have toasted a lot of bread since ;). My JSP bible.

Xtags has a built in sort function. Might sorting be considered in future
releases of jstl?

And one more for the weekend, what would be the best way to get a total sum
of N numbers from a xml query (jstl of course)?

Thanks,
Þorgils Völundarson (if you see the letter Þ it is pronounced Th)

At 08:45 15.8.2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Shawn Bayern wrote:
>>On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Þorgils Völundarson wrote:
>>
>>>how can I store multiple data items from jstl xml query in a vector to
>>>be used later in a servlet to f.x. sort the data?
>>
>>I'm not sure what "f.x." means, but in general, this sort of operation is
>>probably best performed entirely in a servlet.  Servlets are better suited
>>than JSTL for building and performing complex operations on data
>>structures.
>
>I agree with Shawn that complex code should go in some other type of
>component, but for simple sorts I sometimes use this trick:
>
>   <%-- Create a TreeMap: it sorts its keys automatically --%>
>   <jsp:useBean id="sorted" class="java.util.TreeMap" />
>
>   <%-- Add the values to be sorted as keys in the TreeMap --%>
>   <c:set target="${sorted}" property="z" value="" />
>   <c:set target="${sorted}" property="b" value="" />
>   <c:set target="${sorted}" property="x" value="" />
>
>   <%-- Use the sorted keys --%>
>   <c:forEach items="${sorted}" var="c">
>     <c:out value="${c.key}" />
>   </c:forEach>
>
>Hans
>--
>Hans Bergsten           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Gefion Software         http://www.gefionsoftware.com
>JavaServer Pages        http://TheJSPBook.com
>

>--

Kveðja,
Þorgils Völundarson
Krabbameinsfélag Íslands, Krabbameinsskrá
Beinn sími: 540 1973
netfang: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
gsm: 698 5302