Yep. Basically this is what we talk about when we discuss JSTLizing the
String library. I would hook up the JEL thingy to the input.

To be honest, I think it would simply involve:

1) Find the code needed in JSTL to implement this
2) Change StringTagSupport. Then all String tags are JEL'd.
3) Figure out which jar is needed to get the JEL code.

JSP 2.0 will invalidate the need for this, but I suspect it's a ways off.
So I'm happy for the String taglib to go ahead and have this and will
implement it if a patch doesn't appear at some point :)

My focus at the moment is to rearrange the tags themselves and commit the
changes all at once [after a notice of upcoming changes to the Users
list] so I don't irritate everyone with a changing library.

Any suggestions here are welcomed :) Possibly I should release a
stable-prior-to-changes-something.jar before breaking things. Will see if
that has approval on the dev list.

Hen