I wonder why the unnecessary complication here? If they are going to use
reflection anyway, why subject the users to creating these extra xml
fragments. A nickname hardly seems worth it, and adding another point
where a slight syntax problem in an XML document can cause additional
time deploying and debugging seems pointless.

I hope they see the light and allow EL to invoke _any_ method (including
non-static) on beans that are exposed in a scoped context, ala Velocity,
et al

jim