there were discussions a while back on this topic. I submitted a
suggestion to the expert group for JSP requarding this issue for JSP
compile filters.  Using compression is one fix, but it doesn't really
address the heart of the problem. If you look at the generated source
file, you will see tons of out.write for all those blank lines.  It's a
bit wasteful to have all blank lines, so there should be a clear
specification on how JSP page compiler should remove extra spaces if
application desires.

I had several discussions with the developers of Jasper2. The current
spec states the whitespace and blank lines have to be preserved. I'm
hoping the JSP spec after 2.0 will address this issue and make it a
configurable.

peter