We're using the dbtags tag library (v 1.0) to retrieve and format data from
back-end database in a Struts web-app. When a query has no results, the SQL
code for the query will appear in the output page. This may be useful for
debugging in some cases, but since empty results are expected in our queries
and are accounted for using the dbtags:wasEmpty tag, we need to be able to
suppress the SQL code dump.

We understand that in some incarnations of the dbtags tag library, there was
an option to dump the SQL code under programmer control. We cannot find this
feature in the current documentation or taglib descriptors, and cannot find
any reference to control of the code-dumping behavior in the on-line docs or
through Google.

Note that even behavior attached to the dbtags:wasEmpty tag cannot provide
proper warnings in all cases. Some database operations within a page (e.g.,
queries resulting in the creation of a temporary table when the back-end
database SQL implementation does not support nested queries) are triggered
by a dbtags:execute tag rather than by the dbtags:resultSet tags. To our
understanding, the dbtags:wasEmpty tag can only be used following the
dbtags:resultSet tags.

It may be worth noting that we use these queries for the original purpose of
tags -- that is, allowing non-programmers to modify and maintain their own
web pages. The in-page queries are read-only for security and we have found
this approach useful in moving small page-maintenance tasks out of the
programming team and back into the domain of the page-designers. More
complex database activities, including any updates, take place through our
business-entity lightweight classes (a lightweight replacement for the EJB
architecture) and are retained within the programming team.

We would like to control the presence or absence of the code-dumping
behavior, or -- at the very least -- be able to suppress it completely. Any
suggestions compatible with continued use of dbtags?