Karr, David wrote

Well, I would guess there's a good reason for that. The SimpleLog class
just emits to stderr. Are you not able to see your server console?

I just "tail" catalina.out usually to track stuff I'm working on. Or I build my own log for a particular webapp if there's too much other activity going on there. Right now I think that catalina.out is set to be where stderr goes by default in a standard tomcat install on Linux, I could be wrong.

Thanks for the help, I hope this info is of some help to others too,
Mark