Thanks a lot?

lukas

----- Original Message -----
From: "Siggelkow, Bill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Tag Libraries Users List'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 3:15 PM
Subject: RE: remoteUser

> Right Lukas -- as Felipe pointed out a number of the objects that JSTL can
reference are actually specified by other APIs.  If I were coming from the
perspective of a page author, not a Java developer, I could see where this
would be difficult.  Actually, I have been working on a JSTL Quick Reference
and I think this would be a good addition.  Basically, the key to it is as
follows:

> 1) Know what the JSTL/EL implicit objects are -- these are actually
specified in Appendix A.6 of the JSTL spec or from the JSP 2.0 spec -- and
to what API they refer e.g.

> pageContext -- javax.servlet.jsp.PageContext
> etc.
>
> 2) Then you can use the API to find out what objects are available --
using the standard property accessor methods e.g.

> For example from the PageContext API we see that it has a getRequest()
method which returns a javax.servlet.ServletRequest object -- (in all
likelihood, the actual object is a javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest) --
then the HttpServletRequest has a getRemoteUser() method.

> Using the APIs and knowing how JSTL accesses properties that follow the
JavaBeans get/set convention, you can get to just about anything you could
need.  That being said, I would try and stick with the basic scoped variable
containers (requestScope, sessionScope, etc.) and if I really need to drill
down I would do this in JavaCode (e.g. in Struts Action classes).