Yes, there is. For an example on how to add the EL to your own tags you can look at the struts-el tag libraries which are included as part of the Struts core. I use the org.apache.strutsel.taglib.utils.EvalHelper class to evaluate EL expressions. This ties my application to Struts, but I am comfortable with that. If you are not, it should be simple to tie your classes only to the JSTL by only referencing the org.apache.taglibs.standard.lang.support.ExpressionEvaluatorManager class, which the EvalHelper depends on.

Matt

Johann Uhrmann wrote:

Hello,

is there an API for expression language evaluation?

E.g. it should be able to evaluate the following attribute values:

${bean.property}
  Should be evaluated to the property value of the bean.

${empty collection}
  should be evaluated to true/false

foobar
  should become the string "foobar".

Does the JSTL provide such an API?

Thank You,

Hans

-- Matthew Sgarlata Senior Consultant Booz Allen Hamilton Inc. Work: 703-377-0871 Fax: 703-902-3608