Martin van Dijken wrote:
Further examination of the exception does indeed seem to show you have a jar-file problem. This kind of servlet exception usually means Tomcat can't find the indicated resource, in your case LoopTagSupport.

Hmm, how can it than be that <c:out> executes properly?
Anyway, I copied all the jars and tlds in WEB-INF/lib and WEB-INF/tld from the 1.0.3 dist once more - to no avail.
Than I did a CVS restore for my project.
After that I found the 1.0.3 source dist and attached the source to the jstl and standard.jar (I am working with Eclipse) and see:
it works now!

After all, I just can suspect that any component of Eclipse/CVS/our CVS file system/server setup corrupted the jar(s).

Thanks for all your prompt help!

Kind regards,
Thilo.