Really? I haven't had any trouble with the fmt tags. Double-check to be sure
you've got the fmt.tld and the jars in the right place, and the URI correct.
Also, you may want to verify that you're using the correct TLD version.

/WEB-INF/lib/standard.jar
/WEB-INF/fmt.tld
<%@ taglib prefix="fmt" uri="/WEB-INF/fmt.tld"%>