That solved the problem beautifully. Thanks for the help. As for the
conversation over whether this code is better suited as a servlet, the
general answer would be yes. However, due to some expected maintenance
issues here there has been a decision made to try to limit Java code as
much as possible (it is largely a financial matter for maintenance -
paying someone who knows JSTL is considered cheaper than a full blown Java
developer). Hence, the processing code winds up in a JSP.

Thanks again for the help.