The test worked.  My original jsp pages still have the same problem.  I
should be able to figure it out.  Thanks a lot.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kris Schneider [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 7:47 AM
To: Tag Libraries Users List
Subject: RE: JSTL Function Library

Really, if you're going to stick with Servlet 2.4/JSP 2.0 then you should go
with JSTL 1.1. On the other hand, if your app still needs to run under
Servlet
2.3/JSP 1.2 then you should stick with JSTL 1.0. I'm not sure why you can't
get
JSTL 1.1 to work, but try a simple test app like this:

index.jsp:
----------
<%@ page contentType="text/plain" %>
<%@ taglib prefix="c"  uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core"; %>
<%@ taglib prefix="fn" uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/functions"; %>
<c:set var="str" value=" test string "/>
str:      [${str}]
str trim: [${fn:trim(str)}]

WEB-INF/web.xml:
----------------
<web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee";

xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd";
         version="2.4">
    <welcome-file-list>
        <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
    </welcome-file-list>
</web-app>

WEB-INF/lib/:
-------------
jstl.jar
standard.jar

Your output should look like this:

str:      [ test string ]
str trim: [test string]

Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> I have Tomcat 5.0.19.
> I have downloaded the Standard-1.1 file.
> I have put jstl.jar and standard.jar in the WEB-INF/lib folder.
> I have copied your code for creating a Servlet 2.4 web.xml file
> I am using the taglib directives as you have written:
> http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core
> I've restarted Tomcat a few times.
>
> Do I lose anything important by staying with the old JSTL?  I haven't had
> much success with setting up JSTL and consider it a miracle that I got any
> part of it to work.

The
> > book I bought on JSTL must be old because it does not mention JSTL 1.1.
> It
> > was the only book in the bookstore.  Is there a web page that will tell
me
> > how to prepare my server for JSTL 1.1?

Should