I'm new to Tags and still hip-deep in getting my first JSP project off the ground and
very much appreciate all the great support in this forum. Thank You! My question is at
the end of all this (in case you want to skip over the rest)...

**BACKGROUND
I have an "outline" or "directory" type structure that consists of an ArrayList that
contains objects that have ArrayLists full of the same kind of objects that each have
ArrayLists full of.... and so on. I want my HTML page to look something like this with
each sub-item indented:

FIRST ITEM
     FIRST SUB-ITEM
     SECOND SUB-ITEM
          FIRST SUB-ITEM
     THIRD SUB-ITEM
SECOND ITEM
THIRD ITEM
     FIRST SUB-ITEM
FOURTH ITEM

**CURRENT SOLUTION
I made this work on my JSP page using the following code:

<%
     // get the ArrayList from the request
     ArrayList al = (ArrayList) request.getAttribute("issuesList");
%>
<%=writeIssues(al, new String(), 50) // call the writeIssues function - returns the
outline%>
<%!
String writeIssues(ArrayList al, String myOutput, int indent) {
    // sort the array list alphabetically
    Collections.sort(al);
     Iterator iter = al.iterator();
     Issue myIssue = null;
     while (iter.hasNext()) {
          myIssue = (Issue) iter.next();
         // append the string with this issue title
          myOutput = new String(myOutput + "<p style=\"margin-left: " + indent +
";\">" + myIssue.getName() + "</p>\n");
          // recurse by passing this issue's ArrayList, the ever-growing string, and a
new indent value
          myOutput = new String(writeIssues(myIssue.getChildren(), myOutput, indent +
50));
     }
     return myOutput;
 }