I would say there are several basic ideas here:

1. Use a JSP 2.0 container, like Tomcat 5.  The JSTL is implemented
natively there.

2. Use solution 1.

3. Build a second tag library that's implemented exactly like Struts-EL.
Each tag class in Struts-EL is a subclass of the corresponding tag in
the base library, and the only functionality in the Struts-EL tag is to
pass the attribute value through the EL engine from the Jakarta JSTL
implementation.

4. Do not build a tag library that implements your business logic AND
references the Jakarta EL engine.  When you move to a JSP 2.0 container,
you'll then have to spend more time yanking it out.