I'm not too familiar with JXPath, and I'm sure it's useful in other contexts,
but I don't see how it's applicable to Murray's problem. Can it be used to add
an attribute to an existing element? I'm also not sure I get the point about
"JXPath can be scripted into a JSP". Do you mean something besides:

<%
Foo fooCtx = (Foo)JXPathContext.newContext(myFoo);
%>

D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>