have done a by-no-means-robust tag that works

import java.io.*;
import java.net.*;

import javax.servlet.jsp.*;
import javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.TagSupport;

/**
 * Output the tag body when a URL resource exists.
 *
 * @author  allistairc
 */
public class URLExistsTag extends TagSupport {

        /** URL */
        private String url;

    /** Eval at end of tag */
    public int doStartTag() throws JspException {
        return doWork();
    }

    /**
     * Load the page attributes and attempt to output the specified key
     */
    public int doWork() throws JspException {

        try {
                URL url2 = new URL(url);
                URLConnection urlConnection = (HttpURLConnection)
url2.openConnection();
                urlConnection.setRequestProperty("method", "head");
                urlConnection.setDoInput(true);
                urlConnection.connect();

                // throws file not found exception when url does not exist
                BufferedInputStream bis = new
BufferedInputStream(urlConnection.getInputStream());

                return EVAL_BODY_INCLUDE;

        } catch (Exception e) {
        }

        return SKIP_BODY;