Hi Darrel,

Unfortunately, SunOne AppServer 7 does not load TLD's from jar files bundled within the container and made available via the container classloader. By default JSTL is bundled this way.

You will need to copy your JSTL jar file to your web application's WEB-INF/lib directory. This way the web application classloader will load the classes and perform the jar file TLD scanning.

JSTL 1.0 was bundled with AppServer 7 so you can easily access it. You can find the jar location here: <S1AS_HOME>/lib/appserv-jstl.jar

No you don't need a connection to "http://java.sun.com/jstl/core"; as specified in the URI. Think of the URI as a unique identifier string. You will use it in your taglib directive.

By the way, the Java Systems Application Server 8 can be configured to scan bundled jar files for TLD's. You can specify the settings in your domain.xml, with the defaults including JSTL like so:

<jvm-options>-Dcom.sun.enterprise.taglibs=appserv-jstl.jar,jsf-impl.jar</jvm-options>

With JSAS 8 you wouldn't need to copy the JSTL jar file in your web application. You also would get JSP 2.0/Servlet 2.3 support. JSAS 8 is now available and free.

Thanks,

Justyna

Darrell Esau wrote:

Hello,

I deleted inadvertenly deleted the message ..
Dhiru Pandey recommended that I change the URI to the JSTL 1.0 spec.

I did this, then redeployed.. unfortunately I'm still getting the same message (with the updated URI):

[24/May/2004:16:01:11] SEVERE (10162): ApplicationDispatcher[/SampleApp] Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
org.apache.jasper.compiler.CompileException: /jsp/SampleView.jsp(3,0) /jsp/fragments/stdstart.jspf(1,0) This absolute uri (http://java.sun.com/jstl/core) cannot be resolved in either web.xml or the jar files deployed with this application

One question -- does the app server actually need to make a connection to http://java.sun.com? (it cannot currently)

-d