Hi Fanguang,

It looks like some modification that the Landover developers made broke the way the container handles TLD's.

I would tell the developers from Landover the problems that you are running into and give them the standard-examples.war file. Ask them to make sure that this file deploys and the examples can be run successfully in their modified container.

Tomcat 4.x has a minimum requirement of JDK 1.2 so you should be ok with using that JDK. You have tested this out already when you successfuly deployed the JSTL examples in your local copy of the Tomcat 4.1.30 container.

Thanks,

Justyna

Fanguang Meng wrote:

Justyna:

The Tomcat 4.1.24 we got here is a package that was delivered to us and all
sites to keep us similar.  In a way it came from Apache, but the developers
from Landover got it first, made their modifications and configuration and
then delivered to us.

I have to work within our baseline constraints on this one, sorry about
that.

I downloaded the Tomcat 4.1.30 to PC and tried that standard-examples and
works fine.

What do you think? Maybe some configuration of Tomcat didn't work?

We are using java version "1.2.2"
Solaris VM (build Solaris_JDK_1.2.2_10, native threads, sunwjit)
Does this matter?

Thanks very much.

Fanguang Meng

Justyna Horwat <[EMAIL PROTECTED] To: Tag Libraries Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> un.COM> cc: Subject: Re: org.apache.jasper.JasperException: This absolute uri 08/03/2004 11:26 (http://java.sun.com/jstl/core) cannot be resolved in either web.xml or the jar files AM deployed with this application Please respond to "Tag Libraries Users List"

Are you running a vanilla install of Tomcat 4.1.24 that you downloaded from Apache or is it customized/part of a bundle?

What's odd is when I told you to place your jar files in the WEB-INF/lib
directory then the web application classloader will load those classes
and parse TLD's. It overrides the bootstrap, system, common, and shared
classloaders. You shouldn't be getting this error.

You can also make your classes available across all your web
applications using classloaders other than the web application but you
will not get your TLD's parsed.

Here is a document that gives a Tomcat 4.1.x classloading overview:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/class-loader-howto.html

Check with your sysadmin and ask where they got their Tomcat installation.

Another thing to try is download Tomcat 4.1.30 from Apache yourself and
deploy the samples web application as well as your own application.

Thanks,

Justyna