Here's a quick EL-only version of an indexOf tag. There's an example here:

http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2002/09/11/jstl2.html

of using Standard taglib classes to build your own EL-aware tags.

package com.dotech;

import java.io.IOException;
import javax.servlet.jsp.JspException;
import javax.servlet.jsp.JspTagException;
import javax.servlet.jsp.PageContext;
import javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.TagSupport;
import org.apache.taglibs.standard.lang.support.ExpressionEvaluatorManager;
import org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.core.Util;

public class IndexOfTag extends TagSupport {

    private String inputEL;
    private String substringEL;
    private String var;
    private int scope;

    public IndexOfTag() {
        super();
        init();
    }

    private void init() {
        this.inputEL = null;
        this.substringEL = null;
        this.var = null;
        this.scope = PageContext.PAGE_SCOPE;
    }

    public void release() {
        init();
        super.release();
    }

    public void setInput(String input) {
        this.inputEL = input;
    }

    public void setSubstring(String substring) {
        this.substringEL = substring;
    }

    public void setVar(String var) {
        this.var = var;
    }

    public void setScope(String scope) {
        this.scope = Util.getScope(scope);
    }

    public int doEndTag() throws JspException {
        String input = (String)ExpressionEvaluatorManager.evaluate("input",

this.inputEL,

String.class,
                                                                   this,

pageContext);
        if (input == null) {
            input = "";
        }
        String substring =
(String)ExpressionEvaluatorManager.evaluate("substring",

this.substringEL,

String.class,
                                                                       this,

pageContext);
        if (substring == null) {
            substring = "";
        }
        int index = input.indexOf(substring);

        if (this.var == null) {
            try {
                pageContext.getOut().print(index);
            } catch (IOException exc) {
                throw new JspTagException(exc.getMessage());
            }
        } else {
            pageContext.setAttribute(var, new Integer(index), scope);
        }

        return EVAL_PAGE;
    }
}

The important part of the TLD would look like:

    <tag>
        <name>indexOf</name>
        <tag-class>com.dotech.IndexOfTag</tag-class>
        <attribute>
            <name>var</name>
            <required>false</required>
            <rtexprvalue>false</rtexprvalue>