Nope, there's nothing really directly available in JSTL 1.0/JSP 1.2 (outside of
using scripting expressions) to do the same thing as JSP 2.0 EL functions. I'm
in the process of building something that may help however. The Standard 1.1
implementation includes the org.apache.taglibs.standard.functions.Functions
class. Basically, this is a utility class that contains the static methods used
for the JSTL 1.1 functions. In a similar manner, I've got my own Functions
class that includes a couple of simple methods:

import java.beans.Expression;
import java.beans.Statement;
..
public class Functions {

    public static void statement(Object target, String methodName, Object[]
args) throws Exception {
        Statement stmt = new Statement(target, methodName, args);
        stmt.execute();
    }

    public static Object expression(Object target, String methodName, Object[]
args) throws Exception {
        Expression expr = new Expression(target, methodName, args);
        return expr.getValue();
    }
}

Not very impressive, eh? But they're actually quite powerful. Give the JavaDocs
a look:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/beans/Statement.html
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/beans/Expression.html

Combined with some information found here:

http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2002/10/30/jstl3.html

It's not too hard to come up with statement and expression tags that are
EL-enabled for JSP 1.2. When I'm able to move to JSP 2.0, those static methods
will come along for the ride and can be made available through EL functions
instead.

D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>