I entered a similar question and got no response. I'm not sure why there
was no response, maybe no one knows.

The purpose of the JSP page <%@ taglib> URI attribute in my "opinion" is
to allow developers to use short convenient names which map to <taglib>
uri entries in the web.xml file. The app server should (in my opinion)
lookup the vender URI from the TLD file pointed to in the <taglib>
location attribute. I suspect this is a bug (when the TLD is required
for validation) or I am wrong.

If you look in the TLD file of the library you want to use, you will see
the URI which you need to use in your <%@ tablib> URI attribute. Note, I
found this to only be true for tag libraries which use validation
features of the TLD! Not all taglibs require this workaround. For
example, the format taglib does but the core does not! Go figuer.

Hope this helps. And I hope someone more knowledgeable speaks up!

Thanks,

Douglas Ross
Developer, HTML UI Framework
Kronos