Jack

This is obviously if you are not using JNDI to lookup a datasource.

Schalk Neethling wrote:

Jack

Within a servlet I use the following:

public class activateArticle extends HttpServlet {

   public String DRIVER, URL, USER, PASS, message;
       ServletContext context = getServletContext();
       DRIVER = context.getInitParameter("DRIVER");
       URL = context.getInitParameter("URL");
       USER = context.getInitParameter("USER");
       PASS = context.getInitParameter("PASS");
       }

HTH

Jack Lauman wrote:

If I have a datasource in the context-param area of the web.xml file, how can it be called?

<context-param>
   <param-name>jdbcDataSource</param-name>
   <param-value>java:comp/env/jdbc/RestaurantDS</param-value>
</context-param>

pageContext. getServletContext().getInitParameter("insert-context-param-name-here");

Doesn't work here...

private void initialize()
{
   try {
       Context ctx = null;
       DataSource ds = null;
       Connection conn = null;
       Result result = null;
       try {
           ctx = new InitialContext();
           ds = (DataSource)
                ctx.lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/RestaurantDS");
       } catch (Exception e) {
       System.out.println("DataSource context lookup failed: " + e);
   }
   try {
       conn = ds.getConnection();
       } catch (Exception e) {
       System.out.println("DataSource getConnection failed: " + e);
         e.printStackTrace();
   }

-- Kind Regards Schalk Neethling Web Developer.Designer.Programmer.President Volume4.Business.Solution.Developers emotionalize.conceptualize.visualize.realize Landlines Tel: +27125468436 Fax: +27125468436 Web email:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Global: www.volume4.com Messenger Yahoo!: v_olume4 AOL: v0lume4 MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We support OpenSource
Get Firefox!- The browser reloaded - http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

confidential and may not be forwarded or disclosed to any other party without
the permission of the sender. If you received this message in error, please
notify me immediately so that I can correct and delete the original email.
Thank you.